August 1, 2008

K.R Sagar Dam

I spent many years in Mysore, where I did most of my education. We loved to visit the K.R Sagar Dam often. This is a top tourist destination in the state of Karnataka, especially the 'Brindavan Gardens' built beside the dam.

I visited it last year 2007.  I took this picture of the cascade on the  south side of the dam.


From a Google Earth Perspective, this is where it is (I have a color arrow pointing to it)


K. R. Sagar = Krishna Raja Sagar.  Sagar means Ocean. 
Krishna Raja , was the Wodeyar King of  at the turn of the 19th century. 
He presided over the Golden age of Mysore, when it was considered a 'Model' state in India. I will blog more about this Wodeyar some other day.

His #1 Man Was Sir. M. Vishveshwaraiya.  Yes , Sir - the Knighthood he was bestowed.
He was considered extremely intelligent and an highly effective executive. He was a Dewan.
This is his project. Built in 1924 with Stone and "Gaare" (mixture of sand and Lime).


No comments: